Reach Out and Read-Carolinas is part of the nationwide Reach Out and Read organization.
Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) Project
By connecting with libraries and other community partners, Reach Out and Read Carolinas strives to provide enhanced literacy support for all children visiting clinics statewide.
We are excited about the initiatives in the Carolinas as a result of this partnership with the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS). They include:
- Literacy Day By Day Calendar (SC State Library partnership) -
Reach Out and Read is proud to partner with the SC State Library to share the Literacy Day By Day family resource with our providers and families. This calendar provides families with fun, interactive literacy activities to do with their children every single day. This resource is shared in the Reach Out and Read program locations across the state. We continue to work with the SC State Library to expand access to this resource as it evolves in a virtual space.
- Richland County Project: In Richland County, SC, Reach Out and Read is partnering with the County library systems to break down barriers for families and encourage them to get a library card and use the library together often. The innovative leaders at the library have supported a project where children are given a library card in the clinic, during the well-child visit, by the doctor. We are bringing the library to the clinic! In addition, Reach Out and Read is working with local clinics and their Community Health Worker on library education, and even family field trips to the library! View library card info close up!
- Greenville County Project: In Greenville County, SC, Reach Out and Read is working with the Greenville County Library system to launch a partnership in Reach Out and Read clinics county wide, which together serve more than 17,000 children.
We are also working with local library community-based programs to impact the Latino community and support families in local apartment buildings.
- Reach Out and Read is planning a Family Literacy educational series with the Children's Museum of the Upstate (SC) in partnership with Reach Out and Read programs in the upstate area.
- We are working with Library Directors statewide to partner county systems with local Reach Out and Read programs through the SCAPLA.
For more information about how the IMLS partnership can benefit your Reach Out and Read program, contact Reach Out and Read Carolinas at 828.290.9049.
Prescription for Success Toolkit
Reach Out and Read, libraries and museums are natural partners in promoting early literacy, and can support each other in many different ways. Collaborations between Reach Out and Read medical providers and museum and library leadership will lead to a cohesive continuum of early education services for families. View the Prescription for Success Toolkit, collaboration success stories and additional resources.
Thanks to a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), Reach Out and Read surveyed medical practices from around the country to learn how they currently work with local libraries and museums.
This toolkit presents the results of the survey and is designed to provide ideas and resources for Reach Out and Read coordinators, librarians and museums working together.