Building a literacy rich waiting room
Blog post by: Keisha Gray, Altrusa Board Treasure
Altrusa International, Inc. is a global non-profit organization of volunteers whose common goal is to improve the communities in which they live. Altrusa International of Spartanburg, Inc. was chartered in 1963 and has been actively serving Spartanburg for more than 50 years.
Focused on supporting causes that work to improve the environment, family quality of life and literacy in Spartanburg, SC, the membership is proud to help support Reach Out and Read Carolinas.
Altrusa is excited to be able to help update the waiting area of the Center for Family Medicine to ensure that it is a welcoming, literacy-rich space for both children and adults. We are grateful for the opportunity to partner with Reach Out and Read Carolinas to improve not only the literacy of children, but the bond between parent and child through books.
Other projects of Altrusa International of Spartanburg, Inc.:
- Native Children’s Garden at Hatcher Gardens
- Adult Learning Center of Spartanburg
- Astra Service Clubs at two local High Schools
- Drayton Elementary School Reading Buddies program
- Transitional Living Place kitchen renovation for Hope Center for Children
- Stand Down event in support of homeless veterans
- Annual cookies for heroes (holiday cookie drop-off for fire departments)
For more information about investing in ROR Carolinas, click here.